The Achievement Habit book summary
Learn the achievement habit and become successful !
About the author Bernard Roth
- Bernard Roth is the Rodney H. Adams Professor of Engineering and the academic director of the Hasso Plattner Institute of Design (the d.school) at Stanford University.
- He is a leading expert in kinematics, the science of motion, and one of the world’s pioneers in the area of robotics.
- created courses that allow students to directly gain understanding and experience about personal issues that matter to them.
- Bernie is also the primary developer of the concept of the Creativity Workshop.
- He is an in-demand speaker at conferences and workshops globally,
- has served as a director of several corporations, and has been a leader in professional societies.
1. Nothing is what you think it is
- Your life have no meaning, you have to give it meaning
- You master your life as you give it meaning
“Real achievement is learning to be self-sufficient, traveling to another country, making lifelong friends and learning another language”Change your self-Image to change your action
2. Practice self-awareness to control your response
3. Ask yourself:
- Who are you? A father? A husband?
- What do you want?
4. If you are feeling scattered :
- Take a few minutes, be still and focus on your breathing
- Exhale twice as long as you inhale
5. It doesn’t matter if you’re right or wrong about something, because in the end everybody loses
6. Modify your negative experiences & perspectives:
- Exaggerate that boring meeting
- Laugh at your depression
- Write a comedy out of your tragedies
- Make a joke out of that frightening moment
7. Personality Projections:
- If you don’t like something in people you also don’t like It in yourself
- if you like something in other people you like it in yourself too
8. Love and Marriage:
- Falling in love is a case of projections
- A good marriage is free of projections
9. Reasons are bullshit:
- Deal with indecision by imagining there’s a gun at your head
- Life is a gamble, sometimes you might still win even thou the odds are against you
- Only you can stop yourself from doing something, you just have to do it
10. How to deal with insufficient time:
- Prioritize actions that will bring you nearer to your goals
- Stop doing unimportant stuff
11.How to deal with indecision:
- Imagine yourself making a choice and the path it will took
- There are too many variables in life to know what will happen
- Don’t be afraid of failure, the only way to move forward is making a decision
- Understand that in the end we are going to die so it doesn’t really matter
12. Getting Unstuck from your problem
- Solve a problem with the right questions
- Example: You want companionship so you start looking for a spouse
- But will finding a spouse solve the issue?
- You should start asking different questions like..
- You could meet friends online, take classes, get a pet, join a club
13.Ask The Right Question:
- How would finding a companion most impact you?
- You would feel less lonely!
- You should instead ask How to feel less lonely ?
- Question whether the existing solution is right?
- Could there be a better but different solution ?
14. Ways to get unstuck:
- Hard work
- Have a clutter free work area
- Have stimulating work environment
- Relax and let your subconscious work
- Brainstorm and build on others’ ideas
- Make a list of what you want to help you move forward
- Morphological Analysis
- Idea logs
- Force transformation
- Synectics, joining to irrelevant elements
- Drawing a flow chart
- Asking What if ?
- Use Decision making matrix
- Working backwards
- Use storyboards
- Ask how and why and so forth with every decision and action
- Think with your nose
- Meta summary
15. Finding Assistance
- Ask for help from more experience people
- Some people are generous some are not
- Keep asking and help may come from the people you least expect
16. Good artist copy, great artist steal:
- Little under the sun is new
- All designs are redesigns
- Don’t be afraid to copy just don’t forget to credit other people
17. Stop networking & start making new friends:
- Who would you rather see at the door? A friend or a salesman
- Invite people out for lunch or to your house
- Ask about people and follow up on their lives
18. Doing is everything
- Trying is not doing
- Doing is taking action with force
- Doing whatever that is necessary
19. It’s hard to know how people will react under pressure
20. Research and statistics could be wrong
21. Do not punish failures, reward efforts
“Start taking small steps, success is a series of small steps
22.Watch your language:
- Don’t use “But” , use “And”
- Say “I want to” instead of “I have to”
- Say “I won’t” instead of “I can’t”
23. Making conversations:
- Music is more important than lyrics
- Sometimes people complain to get attention but not solution
- Speak from your experience and opinion.. “I think.. I feel..”
- Don’t follow up with your own story after they tell one..
- Acknowledge people’s problem
- Don’t ask “why” questions because it put people on the defensive
- Really listen to people, don’t tune out or prepare a reply in your head
24. Everybody thinks differently, understand how people think to communicate effectively
25. The more you reveal yourself, the more people like you
26. Remember people’s names
27. Power dynamics leads to competition
28. Meet on neutral grounds as equals
29. We work better collaboratively
30. Use circular instead of rectangle table
31. Change your environment to get new ideas
32.Change your selfimage to change your actions because our selfimage is influence by our parents and environment
33. Reframe your problems, redesign your selfimage, become what you desire !
More Achievement Habit Related Book Summaries
- Book Summary: The Universal Law Of Success Summary Albert Laszlo
- Book Summary: Unfuck Yourself Summary Gary John Bishop
- Book Summary: How To Stop Feeling Like Shit Summary Andrea Owen
- Book Summary: How to Fail at Almost Everything Summary By Scott Adams
Get Free Book Summaries
No time to the whole book ? Let Us send you free Summaries Forever :)